Sunday, June 04, 2006

People in passing

A friend of mine had surgery a while ago, so I’ve been taking him to the hospital for check-ups and physio the last two months.  During these two months, we got to know his therapist quite well.  So, last week when we were told that he was going to be OK forever, and that we didn’t need to go back anymore, it was surprisingly sad.  On one hand, it’s wonderful that my friend’s totally OK.  But on the other hand, it feels icky knowing that there are some people we just will never see again.

Who knows?  Maybe when we get jobs in different cities, I may never see this friend ever again.  Such is the way of life.  But isn’t it all so miraculous and sad at the same time?

In a way, my life really does only revolve around me.  Not in the center-of-the-world egomaniac way, but in the sense that I will only ever truly know my own life.

When I was little, I’d sit in a car in traffic and imagine what the people walking by were like.  Where they live, where they’re going, who they’re meeting, etc.  It was at moments like these that I’d feel so overwhelmingly insignificant and small.  Of the nearly 7 billion people out there, I only know the people around me.   We meet new people everyday, we make new friends, we build memories, but in the end, all we have is very few special people.  So what happens to the rest?  Did I leave a mark in their lives?  Did they leave a mark in mine?  That person I saw crossing the street… how is her life?

I will never know.

And in realizing that I will never know, I am forced to wonder… does it matter?  If it comes down to my life as it pertains to me, that person crossing the street really doesn’t mean anything.  Yet, I still wonder.

And this has become another post that’s way too deep for my capacity.  So I won’t try to philosophize it.  Perhaps when I’m old and wiser, I will understand things better.

In the mean time, I can only appreciate people while they’re in my life, since not many stay for a long time.

How sad.

I’m in a melancholy state.

6 Comments:

At 6/05/2006 02:59:00 AM, Blogger Galactichero said...

Oh yeah? Do the same thing with a coin someday. Try to imagine the path it took to get to you. Messes with your head.

 
At 6/12/2006 09:14:00 PM, Blogger PinkBunny said...

Too complex. Also makes me want to wash my hands after I handle coins.

 
At 6/13/2006 06:38:00 PM, Blogger Mere Rhetoric said...

i used to think that there were invisible elastic "strings" that followed people wherever they went, and wondered what would happen if everyone was pulled back through the places that they had passed - who would they run into? what would they see?

weird thoughts...

 
At 6/13/2006 08:27:00 PM, Blogger PinkBunny said...

That could be a movie, J! It's a very cool concept.

I wouldn't want to go back yet. Not ready to face the past. But imagine being able to see everyone being pulled back at the same time. Just the intricacy of it all is overwhelming.

 
At 6/14/2006 01:10:00 AM, Blogger Galactichero said...

Not the past, the present in past places.

I used to imagine the roads moved instead of the cars.

 
At 6/14/2006 01:43:00 PM, Blogger PinkBunny said...

The present in past places... wow I'd be travelling the world! That'd be pretty fun.

Would we all go at the same pace so that we can run into people who were there at the same time?

It would be so cool to run into people I know now in past places, but the world is too big for that.

And then imagine finishing my journey back to my birth place, only to find that the world needs to rewind a couple million more years before the whole process finishes.

I am just a small water molecule in the big ocean.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home